Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thrift Reviews | The Fashion Dungjen

I love thrifting. In an upcoming article for The News Record, I venture out to try and hit up some of the areas most popular thrift stores. Here's what I have to say about them:

Valley Thrift
9840 Reading Rd
Cincinnati, Ohio, 45241

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Valley Thrift is shoes. Every row of clothing is coupled with a row of shoes. It's insane. Everything is really organized, which is nice and incredibly helpful. I think I've had more luck at this thrift store than I've had pretty much anywhere else. I was even lucky enough to find a pair of cowboy boots in my size. They're perfect. The store itself is pretty big, they have a lot of clothes, but they also have a few aisles of knick-knacks. The jewelery counter is pretty big; last time I was there I bought 12 pair of earrings for less than $10. Awesome. Unfortunately, not all things at Valley Thrift are that inexpensive. Though everything at Valley Thrift is cheaper than if it were bought when it were new, it's still a little pricier than other thrift stores.

Society of St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Store
9864 Reading Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45241

St. Vincent DePaul is literally located right next to Valley Thrift. Technically you should drive back and forth from the stores. There is a sign that asks patrons to not walk through the grass. Whoops. I'm a little rule breaker; I walk through the grass every single time. St. Vincent DePaul is significantly smaller than Valley Thrift so it's harder to find anything you may be interested in. They do, or at least the last time I visited the store, had a great selection of vintage hats. They were grossly overpriced. Generally whenever I actually bother to go, I'm only there for a few minutes before I get frustrated and give up. Plus the lighting isn't that great. The store is worth checking out, don't go with great expectations or high hopes.

The Village Discount Outlet
1813 Monmouth St
Newport, KY 41071

This place is huge. There are rows, upon rows of double-stacked hanging clothing racks. Everything is insanely organized, well, OK, everything is fairly organized. I was able to get a bunch of things -two scarves, two shirts and a blazer - for less than $15. That's not too bad, right? Right. To put the cherry on top, every Monday you can leave the store with a billion things for 50 cents each. Talk about bargain hunting. This place is a hot spot for thrifters so if you're going to go, plan to spend a whole day. You'll need it to sort through everything you find. This also means that things may be extremely picked over by the time you get to it. Go back often. It'll prove worth it.



Keep checking back for more thrift store reviews. If you know of a gem store, clue me in! I'd love to check it out.

No comments: