Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pantsless, Day One: Gina | The Fashion Dungjen

Gina is one of my best friends. I've known her for several years - we went to nearby high schools and had mutual friends. Gina is a first-year English and political science student at the University of Cincinnati. I like to say I'm the reason she chose UC, but her attitude keeps me in check.


Gina is one of my best friends. I've known her for several years - we went to nearby high schools and had mutual friends. Gina is a first-year political science student at the University of Cincinnati. I like to say I'm the reason she chose UC, but her attitude keeps me in check.

So, blogosphere, I introduce you to my friend Gina. (Actually, Gina made her Fashion Dungjen debut several months ago for a fashion no-no.)

Pants are a huge part of who I am. I enjoy wearing them, purchasing them, trying to squeeze my now fat ass into them, seeing other people wear them and planning outfits that include them as an essential.

I even call my best friend
Pants.

Clearly, I live a life of pants. That being said, I’ve flirted with skirt- and dressitude - for some time now. I decided to wear a skirt once a week during my sophomore year of high school, and I was almost entirely successful. Toward the end of senior year, I started wearing summer dresses almost exclusively. They were an effortless way to look put together without worrying about matching; one piece of fabric covered all the necessary bits and that’s a pretty good deal. I imagine this week will be one of cold and stubbly legs; my foresight for tights and shaving is weak. I will probably go to the gym more than I would otherwise, just to feel the fabric brushing my legs oh so gently.

If all goes well, I could
potentially forsake pants permanently, in an epic twist. Perhaps I'll relish in the bare-legged fervor of skirtedness, feeling the incredibly cold and biting Cincinnati wind against my legs and surrounding my nearly naked vag. Perhaps I’ll go running back to pants, seeking their warmth and comfort, in whom I can sit Indian-style and like a man, lacking any regard for proper sitting etiquette. I guess this comes down to tradition vs. non. The game is on, and may the best apparel win.

On this first day of skirtitude, my thoughts were taken over by the fact that the
skin between my knee-length skirt and my mid-calf boots was literally going to freeze off my body. I am a dumbass for not wearing tights; I hope to have learned my lesson. Aside from that, I felt great. My skirt is from H&M, my sweater is from unknown and my brown boots are from Charlotte Russe. I have no doubt I'll be able to conjure six more outfits, but their appropriateness (and my warmth) will be questionable.

No comments: